About Me

My photo
My name is Anna, and I work as a primary school teacher in greater London. I love eating pizza and watching TV with my husband. I also love painting glass, and any other crafty pursuits that give me a chance to make a mess! I am on a bit of a mission to learn how to cook, bake, sew and generally make things before I have children. I'm trying to learn something new each day. I really value your support, so thank you for following me xx

Tuesday, 31 May 2011

French Onion Soup

So in my quest to learn something new each day, I though I'd have a go at making onion soup using the ridiculous amount of onions I had in the fridge. It turned out pretty well - but it was one of those meals that taste great at the time but you can regret eating too much of!


This made enough for 2 large bowls:

350g shopped onion, 20g butter, olive oil, 3 tsp sugar, 900ml beef sock, 1/2 glass white wine, 1tbsp flour.


Add oil and butter to the pan, and cook the chopped onion on a medium/low heat until very soft and golden (aprox 40 mins  - I should have left them a bit longer though!)




                        Add flour, sugar, stock and white wine. bring to the boil and simmer for 40 mins.


Ladel into soup bowls ( I didn't have any!) Top with toasted bread and cheese and bake in oven on a medium heat for 20 mins


Here we go! I only had low fat cheese - so it didn't melt quite as well! But it tasted good.  Next time I'd have a bit less soup and more bread.


                                                       
                                                          What are you cooking today?

1 comment:

  1. If you make a load of this then pour it into bowls for the right portions you can freeze it in the bowls. Dip into some boiling water to loosen from the bowl when frozen and bag up. Ideal for that quick microwaved meal.

    ReplyDelete